The Agronomy Specialist™
Agronomic Acumen is a consultancy firm that specialises in agronomy and is based in Albany, Western Australia. We provide various services that include regular paddock/field inspections, development of paddock plans, one-off farm visits for advice, talking to groups, giving seminars and providing a completely independent view on why your chemical product is not selling or what should be done to make it a best seller. We also publish a monthly newsletter, back issues of which are available here for download.
We manage farms for investors and land owners who want maximum sustainable profits using the best agronomic techniques. We are also able to manage your farm if you just want a break or are having trouble keeping up with the rapid change of agriculture.
Please click one of the buttons along the top bar or side for more information.
You may find some useful links that we visit regularly. Please browse the photo gallery for some recent photos of warm season crops in the Great Southern region of Western Australia.
Latest Newsletter Topics - May 2019
- Dry sowing everything before it rains?
- Eaten crops - what to do when something unknown is eating your crops.
- Emergency braking compared to weed control strategies.
- Snails in pasture - it is easy to control snails in pastures now.
- Resistant red legged earth mites - new registration of a different chemistry group, but is it worth it? Discussion on the suggested options.
- Tid bits (answers to the following queries people have been calling about)
- How early can you spray imidazolinone (imi’s) herbicide on Clearfield crops, and what rates and herbicides?
- How early can you spray triazine herbicides on TT canola and what rates and herbicides?
- Can you spray metribuzin on TT canola?
- Using Linuron post-emergent on faba beans and peas to control broadleaf weeds.
- Using Ecopar (20g/L pyraflufen) post-emergent on faba beans and vetch.
- What’s the best salvage option to control grasses in legume crops?
- Can I use Butisan (metazachlor) to pull down large grass weeds in canola?
- What’s the best salvage option to control large ryegrasses in wheat and barley.
- What rate of Urea should I use across pastures to see how much pasture is waiting to grow?
- What imi herbicides can I use on Bendoc Clearfield faba beans?
- B-Power (butafenacil) has been sold out. More is coming in August. What can it be used on in spring?
- Three options to control resistant Green Peach Aphids.
- Do fungicides harm mycorrhizae? - An excellent article from Matt Hagny in Kansas, USA.